The idea behind the project came from an analysis of the issues affecting young people in our present day society: youths’ difficulties in gaining employment and environmental problems.
As a result, the main objective of Practical Innovative Nature Education (PINE) project is to develop high quality key skills and competences through supporting youths to reach their full potential using environmental education and outdoor activities through a mixed approach of learning styles.
The project targets youth from 16 years old on-wards and will tackle inclusive education and training, enhancing the access and participation of disadvantaged young people who are unemployed and seeking methods to find employment in their countries or within Europe. The project is focused on both youth workers and youths.
Main activities carried out throughout the two year project are:
- Creation of intellectual outputs which aim to develop field teaching resources included in the Practical Innovative Nature Education Guide which will also contain more sections about: Key Skills and Competences developed in youths through engagement in nature conservation; Importance of varied learning approaches in youth education; Combating social anxiety in youths through environmental education; Entrepreneurial skills through development of social enterprises;
- The development and trialling of intellectual outputs will be supported by constant implementation of the field teaching resources in order to develop the capacity of partner organisations to deliver project work;
- Organisation of blended mobility for youth in order to implement and trial activities with youth, to increase their skills and competences, and to develop an agenda of policies for environmental education.
- Organisation of short joint staff training events for youth workers about the importance of environmental education in youths and how to train other youth workers to work using non-formal and informal learning tools in environmental education
- Organisation of multiplier events in all partner countries in order to disseminate intellectual outputs on the importance of environmental education in youths and how to increases future opportunities
- Organisation of an international conference with policy makers invited where youths will have the opportunity to show their agenda with environmental policies, making their voice heard;
- Continuous management meetings and reporting for planning, managing finances, coordination, and efficient communication between the partners in order to generate the best output, including transnational meetings in each partner country.
The methodology used while carrying out the project is based on mutual support and collaboration of all partner organisations in order to provide the best results. The main focus will be to develop and trial quality intellectual outputs supported by regular management meetings, transnational project meetings and training activities to develop the capacity of partner organisations, youth workers, youths and other stakeholders involved.
The results and impact expected to youth workers particiating in the project are:
- Development of field teaching resources in the form of handbooks and online media for youth workers and youth organisations on how to develop skills and competences through environmental education;
- Development of resources will be focused on blending formal, non-formal and informal education for a lifelong learning experience for youth. This will be made combining different kind of techniques such as: role play, workshops, public speaking, simulations, discussion and debates, team building activities.
- Development of education programme which fosters key skills through environmental entrepreneurship;
- Professional development of youth workers through trainings and events;
- Development of training programme targeted for youth workers demonstrating the benefits of environmental education and how it benefits youths.
The results expected to individual youths in the project are related to developing a set of skills and competences such as:
- Entrepreneurship skills
- Communication skills
- Promoting values for inclusion and acceptance of diversity
- Active Citizenship
- Environmental awareness, appreciation and understanding
The development of skills and competences above mentioned will boost youths’ employability in the labour market. Moreover, throughout the project youth will develop a sense of environmental entrepreneurship, and they will be encouraged to take action and transform ideas into practice to achieve wider social benefits.